Thursday, February 5, 2009

Whirlwind!

These last two days have been quite the whirlwind. We spent most of yesterday touring the city of Quito; we visited the Equator, took some fun pictures, and went to some really incredible and elaborate Churches. It is amazing to see buildings and architecture from the 1500’s that is so majestic and yet built without modern machinery. Also, the equator was really interesting; they did some experiments where we saw the water drain down in different directions in the sink on either side of the equator. Also, we were given the opportunity to try and balance an egg on the head of a nail. Apparently it is easier to do on the equator, but still only three of us were able to do it, and I was one! Ellie, Jenny and I all received certificates for our ability to balance an egg on the head of a nail. It was a really fun experience.

Then we took a 35 minute flight to Cuenca where we met our families! It was somewhat of a surreal experience because my host mom and dad were at the airport holding a sign that said “Kathie Barnes” (I guess just did their best to spell my name) and when they saw me they were so excited and speaking in Spanish so fast my brain was not keeping up. I felt so welcome and accepted by them, I just felt so bad that I couldn’t communicate better. We sat together and had dinner which consisted of Coffee and bread. I did it, I had coffee and it wasn’t the worst thing in the world, but they have a milk base with a little coffee. I guess I can live with that. It was really interesting to just sit and listen to the family interact and try to pick up on any words that I could. I was able to jump in on some parts, but overall it was really difficult. I am praying that the more that I interact with them and the more that I am surrounded by the language the greater my vocabulary will become.

Today is my first day at the church. This morning we are meeting with Gustavo to talk about more of our roles in the Church. I am really excited about this, also Gustavo speaks English, so it will be nice to have a little break from the Spanish and actually understand everything that he is saying! I am sitting in the office of the Church right now and everyone is so kind and outgoing, I cannot wait to get more involved and get to know more of the people that I am surrounded by.

Yesterday I was reading in Isaiah, and I came across this verse that really challenged me as I have been struggling to keep up with the language and feeling a bit inadequate. Isaiah 2:22 “Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?” As I begin working at the Church today and have the opportunity to spend more time with my family, please pray that…
1. I will trust God with this whole situation and learn to let go of my pride.
2. As I spend more time here that my Spanish language skills will improve and that I will feel more comfortable speaking in all situations.
3. I will be open to new experiences and not be so intimidated by all of the changes.
And 4. please pray for the people of Ecuador and the leaders at the Church. Pray that they will see God and be tuned into His will.

5 comments:

  1. I know that is it your desire to be able to really minister to others while you are there. I am praying that God will allow you to communicate meaningfully.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. love the pictures.
    2. love everything your learning. esp in isaiah.
    3. i always knew you had talent with eggs.
    4. i miss you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie! Sounds incredible so far! Praying for your family situations in general too- that those relationships would be edifying and encouraging.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!! I'm glad you are there safe! Your pics are amazing, I'm glad you had coffee :) prediction... you will come back addicted. i'm just saying. well i'm praying for you and i love u lots!

    Rach

    ReplyDelete